Friday, February 24, 2006

When I Warned of the Fires of Hades, What I Meant Was...

Hell on Earth is a step closer.

For everybody, I mean, not just for the wretched unwashed Nike-sewing, Starbucks-serving, five-star McDonald's-swabbing, penal-system-swelling hordes that underpin the grate capitalist democracies of today.

Yeah, I managed to say that with a straight face, too.

"Yeah, yeah, another bombing in Iraq, Big deal," so many people are saying, either consciously or without realising it. Your mentality might have washed for a few hundred years of "black on black" violence in the USA but those of you going about your daily hard work, head down, nose to the grindstone, might want to sit up a bit and open your eyes.

The bombing of the mosque in Samarra was no small step and it was not subtle. It was deeply, deeply significant, especially if you have been trying to see beyond the media hype, circus or, alas, snoring, that has accompanied or, again, failed to accompany so many major recent events.

I know some people wonder who on earth cuts my hair, considering the lunacy of my fringe but I've been banging on about this for a while now. Repeatedly.

Perhaps Jim Henson never died. Maybe puppet masters don't die, they just go to the great Muppet Workshop in the sky? Somebody is pulling the strings, that's for sure.

Ain't nobody gonna be applauding when the curtains finally open on this performance, that's for sure.

No comments: